The great majority of cure cottages in Saranac Lake were operated as commercial private sanatoria at one time or another, with the exception of those in the three wealthy, exclusive neighborhoods, Highland Park, Rockledge and Glenwood. That is, they were available for rent to those attempting to cure their tuberculosis. See Cure Cottages, Cottage Row, Helen Hill, French Hill and Church Street Historic District (not all places in those lists were commercial). There were also patient cottages at the not-for-profit Trudeau Sanatorium Historic District.
On January 16, 1925, a front page article in the Adirondack Enterprise was headlined: "Fire Escapes To Be Required For Sanatoria Here; State Public Health Law Compliance Demanded by Veterans Bureau; Health Board Acts; Survey Started to Make Enforcement Uniform on 3-Story Houses." The article begins, "Cottage sanatoria in Saranac Lake of 3 or more stories height will be required to construct iron stairway fire escapes under concurrent action being taken by local health authorities, county officers and the U.S. Veterans Bureau. . . . In order to make enforcement uniform throughout the village, the board of health is to make a survey of all nursing cottages, boarding houses and other buildings housing tuberculosis patients."
|Old Address||Post-911 Address||Building Name/Notes||Cure Evidence|
|55 Riverside Drive||90 Riverside Drive||
||Spear Cottage, One of the cure cottage where the Norwegian Sailors cured.|
|10 Kiwassa Road||179 Kiwassa Road||
||Purported to be the oldest house in the village. Built in 1860. House was turned to face a different direction in the 1930s.|
|29 Church Street||45 Church Street||Howell Cottage, A very large cure cottage. One of its patients was Patrick Murphy, son of Gerald and Sara Murphy. Artist Fernand Léger was one of many visitors.|
|33 Ampersand Avenue||273 Ampersand Avenue||33 Ampersand Avenue||TBSWC|
|35 Ampersand Avenue||277 Ampersand Avenue||35 Ampersand Avenue||TBSBC|