In 1909, George V.W. Duryee, Walter Cluett, and Eddy Whitby organized the Rockledge Company to build Saranac Lake's second exclusive subdivision, after Highland Park. Walter Cluett had been instrumental in hiring the Olmsted Brothers firm to prepare the village improvement plan, and the same firm was retained the following year to lay out a subdivision plan. Located on 73 acres of Colonel Milote Baker's farm, Rockledge included almost all the land between East Pine Street and the Saranac River, in addition to a quarter of Moody Pond. It was laid out in fifty lots ranging from a third of an acre to three acres in size. Physically separated from the village center by Helen Hill, the area seemed remote and was slow to develop. Only six houses had been built on Rockledge Road by World War II.