The School in the Pines was the first school in the area; it was built in 1838, and was part of District Number 4 of the town of North Elba. It was built on the Old Military Road, "but much nearer the village than Jacob Moody's cabin," which was at the end of what was then River Street, now Brandy Brook Avenue. The first teacher was Mary A. Miller.
It was the only school in town for five years, until a new facility was built in 1843 in the center of the village, that was later moved to Lake Street, where it became known as the School on the Hill. This school appears to have been discontinued in 1870, when "the two districts were consolidated" 1 and relocated to Main Street, on the future site of the first High School, and later the Hotel Saranac.
Vaughn, Kathleen Scott, "SL's first School", Adirondack Daily Enterprise, January 25, 1992
2011-09-27 21:19:21 It's hard to see how a school on the OMR could be nearer the village than Moody's. —MaryHotaling
- 1Donaldson, Alfred L. A History of the Adirondacks, New York: The Century Co., 1921, pp. 238. (reprinted by Purple Mountain Press, Fleischmanns, NY, 1992)