From the Annual Report of the Trudeau Foundation for the year ended September 30, 1951.
THE EDWARD L. TRUDEAU FOUNDATION is an endowment fund in memory of Doctor Trudeau, established in 1916, for the support of research and teaching in chronic pulmonary disease. Allocations from the income are made to the following:
THE SARANAC LABORATORY, located in the village of Saranac Lake, which functions in the interest of clinical and experimental pathology with special reference to tuberculosis, pneumoconiosis and other industrial diseases of the lung.
THE TRUDEAU LABORATORY, concerned with the bacteriology of chronic pulmonary disease, especially tuberculosis, and giving primary attention to study of the tubercle bacillus and various chemotherapeutic agents, including streptomycin.
THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY, for the clinical and experimental study of respiratory function as it pertains to pulmonary disease with special emphasis on tuberculosis and pneumoconiosis.
THE DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, recently established for the chemical and experimental study of metabolic phenomena in chronic pulmonary disease.
THE DEPARTMENT OF RADIOLOGY, for study of the roentgenographic manifestations of pulmonary disease and their correlation with the pathology and the physiology of the lung.
THE TRUDEAU SCHOOL, for the teaching and training of physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis and other chronic pulmonary disease.
FELLOWSHIPS, for study and research concerning chronic pulmonary disease. A primary objective of such fellowships is to support young tuberculous physicians and scientists during their period of rehabilitation.
THE DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS, for indexing and analyzing pertinent data derived from both clinical and experimental studies.
THE MEDICAL LIBRARIES, consisting of the Lawrason Brown Memorial Library located at Trudeau and the John Black Room in the Saranac Laboratory, Saranac Lake.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, April 21, 1955
Schepers Heads Lab, Steeken Is Associate
Dr. Gerrit W. H. Schepers has been named director, and William Steenken Jr., associate director of all research work carried on under the Trudeau Foundation, it was announced this morning by Dr. Francis B. Trudeau Jr., president of the Trudeau Board of Trustees.
The choice of Dr. Schepers and Mr. Steenken was by unanimous vote of the Board of Trustees.
The Board directed that the work of the Trudeau-Saranac Institute and the Saranac Laboratory be combined. They have been operating as separate research organizations for over fifty years.
Dr. Schepers became director of the Saranac Laboratory in April a year ago. Mr. Steenken has been director of the Trudeau-Saranac Laboratory since 1947.
Dr. Schepers came to Saranac Lake from Johannesburg, South Africa, with an international reputation for his work in pulmonary diseases. He has published more than 30 scientific papers and three books. He is also an experienced anthropologist and neurologist.
Born in DeWets Dorp, Orange Free State, Dr. Schepers attended me Universities of Witwatersrand, Pretoria and South Africa.
From 1934-1938 Dr. Schepers was a part-time demonstrator at the Medical School Johannesburg, and full-time lecturer there from 1939-1944. He was administrative and research medical officer of the Johannesburg Municipal Benefit Society from 1941-1942 and professor of anatomy and head of the Department of Physiology, and Foundation Member of the Medical Faculty of Pretoria from 1942-1943. He has been a member of the Silicosis Medical Bureau, Union Department of Mines in Johannesburg from 1944-1948 as well as a member of the Miner's Tuberculosis Bureau. In 1949 and 1950 he traveled extensively in the United States, Canada and Europe as Commonwealth Fellow for British Empire, studying industrial medicine.
In 1952 he was named chairman of the pulmonary disability committee of the Miner's Tuberculosis Bureau. Earlier this year Schepers was awarded the Queen's Coronation Medal in recognition of his service in the field of pulmonary disease disability.
Dr. and Mrs. Schepers have three children, Rosemary, Emil and Robert
Bill Steenken, as he is known in the community, was born in Brooklyn in 1901, and first came to Saranac Lake when his father was a patient here in 1924.
A graduate of Columbia University, Mr. Steenken was a chemist for the Wright Martin Aircraft Company and the National Sugar Refining Company before coming to work at the Saranac Laboratory.
He was awarded a medal by the University of Liege, Belgium, in 1949, for his contributions to the field of experimental tuberculosis. In 1953 he was awarded the Pasteur Medal by the Pasteur Institute, Lille, France, for his research work in TB.
Mr. Steenken has published 112 papers on chest disease. He has lectured in London, Brussels, Liege, Paris and Lausanne.
Mr. Steenken is a member of the National Research Council and consultant to the U.S. Public Health Service and to the Veterans Administration.
Mr. and Mrs. Steenken have two children, William G. and Gerald. Both the Schepers and Steenkens live at Trudeau.